More Love - Another Set Of Beaujolais

Drink me
Tomer Gal almost managed to sneak in some more Beaujolais without informing me, but I caught on and made a quick purchase.

Jean Foillard, Morgon, Cuvée Corcelette, 2012

This cuvée is sourced from 90 year old vines and is seamlessly seductive, with a soft, juicy core so delicious that it's hard to put down the glass. Along with that, though, is an Old World grunge and mysterioso that appeals to the mind as well, with aromas and flavors of leather, sweat and the sort. This can definitely age, assuming I can keep my hands off it. At any rate, one I need to stock on. (Jan. 15, 2015)

150 NIS.

Jean Foillard, Morgon, Cote du Py, 2012

I loved the 2011, and Tomer said the 2012 was a knockout. And yep, it is. There's an earthy, spicy nose, with a peppery, stemmy feel as well - that reminds me of Pavelot, for some reason - and a round fleshiness on the palate that, combined with herbal tannins, is all Gamay. Like a great Burgundy, this balances texture and presence with a light, refreshing saline touch. (Feb. 9, 2015)

150 NIS.

George Descombes, Chiroubles, 2012

Chiroubles is said to be the lightest of the Beaujolais Cru, so I took that to mean it would be the most Pinot-ish, which isn't really the case here. It's more floral and, yes, lighter, than just about all the others I've been drinking, but it's just as round and earthy as the rest, just as Gamay. It's simple compared to its stablemates in Tomer's catalog, but develops nicely with air and the lightly tannic finish is quite savory. (Jan. 19, 2014)

140 NIS.

George Descombes, Brouilly, 2012

This is a darker, deeper, meatier wine. It has the same 'dirty', earthy, leathery feel as the Corcellete, although to a lesser extent. And very juicy acidity. I actually think this could use a year or two to fill out that savory finish. (Jan. 21, 2015)

140 NIS.

After three years of drinking the major names in Beaujolais, I've narrowed my short list to Foillard, Thevenet and Potel-Avion.

Comments